I found a great pattern in the old stash of Burda Style magazines I had on subscription in 2004! Its the first time I have used any of their magazine patterns and I noticed just in time that they do not add the seam allowance to their patterns, so out came the handy Seam gauge to add to the pattern trace! As promised I also made a toile for fitting, but as it turned out no alteration was needed!! That's got to be a first right!
The construction was pretty simple, which is a blessing, as the magazine instructions are fairly basic due to space for text.
|Ready for the local Kids Disco|
Once it was ready it needed a final tweak as the back hem "kicked out". I just unpicked 2 inches of hem and tapered the back seam from the base of the zipper to the hem, (almost an inch and half out of the hem) and re hemmed with a machine blind stitch. I have drawn the adjustment on the pattern pieces but not permanently altered it as I am not convinced yet if the "kick" was down to the pattern or the lack of drape in the fabric...it is very firm!
I did a 3 stitch zig-zag at the waist band to stop the lining from rolling over, I really like this way of making lining lie flat on a neckline or waist.
I have worn it out for shopping and coffee with the "Girls" and kids but I may go back to it and attach the lining to the waist/skirt sideseam so it doesn't turn itself completely inside out when I step out of it.