Monday, February 13, 2012

Not according to plan...

So I'm wondering if other people find therapy where they least expect it?  After a pretty full on week with the kids and the sub zero temperatures, I was looking forward to a weekend where Dad took over and I could get all the things done that I just don't do when the kids are around.
He's had a tough week too so on Saturday morning when he said he was going to the lake for a quick skate (even though he also said he didn't feel well), I smiled sweetly and carried on cleaning up breakfast.  An hour later when he called to tell me he had chained the bike to a tree and lost the bunch of keys (my set incidently) I was no longer smiling but cursing him under my breath as I bundled the kids into the bakfiets, spare keys in hand to go and rescue him.  He looked particularly pathetic when I arrived, so I calmly unlocked the bike and advised him we would see him later as we were continuing with our original plans for the day, which he had vetoed the previous evening.
40 minutes of power biking later, my friend handed me a coffee and I didn't even feel the need to bitch about it all!!
The boys had a lovely time charging about the soft play and climbing frame zone and I was well rested for the bike  back.
Much the same the next day from the other half.  So while he quietly suffered in bed, we had pyjama breakfast of coco pops in front of the TV and then very casually set off for the zoo.  A few hours later and 2 very tired boys cuddling me on the tram, we were back for dinner, bath and bed.
It wasn't what I had planned for my weekend but the general pace of it was very refreshing; no school bell to beat, no wrestling into snow suits and gloves, the joy of not having to be anywhere but exactly where we were at any given time felt like a holiday.  Its not my kids that drive me mad, its their schedules!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment